Directional drilling is a reference to a crossing in which a pilot bore is then drilled followed by enlarging to the size of the pipe to be laid. The path followed by the drilling process may be either straight or curved while the direction of the drilling head may be adjusted at any stage during the process to enable maneuvering around obstacles. Directional drilling is usually carried out when the reserves are deposited in a horizontal direction or if the site does not permit open pit mining due to the presence of residential or other establishments around the proposed site. The process is accomplished through three steps: pilot hole, reaming, and pull pipe.
Directional Drilling Market Outlook
- When used in combination with hydraulic fracturing, directional drilling can grant access to hitherto inaccessible resources.
- Technological improvements to counter the harmful effects of the two primary drilling methods would lead to the use of innovative equipment as a solution to these issues. Further, the use of geologically suited seismic equipment would lead to optimization of the horizontal drilling operations and better exploitation of the tapped resources.
- Further, the rising demand for energy globally, especially from the emerging regions, would drive the market over the forecast period from 2020 to 2026.
Directional Drilling Market Segmental Overview
- Rotary steerable systems are used during directional drilling with uninterrupted rotation from the surface. This eliminates the need to slide a steerable motor. They are used when conducting drilling operations in directional, horizontal, or extended-reach wells.
- Logging while drilling (LWD) is a technique used to convey well logging tools into the well borehole downhole as part of the bottom hole assembly (BHA).
- Directional drilling has allowed the development of offshore or subsea production intervals in an economically viable manner despite the expensive nature of the platforms.
Directional Drilling Market Key Players
The major companies operating in the directional drilling market include Barbco Inc, Creighton Rock Drill Ltd, Ellingson Companies, Ferguson Michiana, Herrenknecht AG, Horizontal Technology Inc, INROCK Drilling Inc, Laney Directional Drilling, McCloskey International, Nabors Industries Ltd., The Charles Machine Works, Inc., The Toro Company, UEA, and Vermeer Corporation among others.
New product launch and continual research and development are among the top strategies being adopted by the key players to maximize growth.